Paternity and Custody Rights

When a child is born to unmarried parents the father of the child will need to have his parenting time and custody rights determined by the court.

At the time of birth the child’s unmarried parents will usually be asked to sign a Recognition of Parentage. This document is a legal document but doesn’t set up any parenting time or custody rights for the father.

All too often unmarried fathers wait to find out about their legal rights until the child’s mother denies contact with the child. It is important for an unmarried father to establish his rights in order to maintain contact with his child regardless of how he continues to get along with the child’s mother.