Third-Party Custody

When a grandparent, family member or someone other than the child’s parent needs to establish the legal right to take care of a child this can be done through a third-party custody action. Taking action to set up custody rights to a child will allow someone to make decisions for a child — like where they go to school, getting medical care, and getting financial assistance.

A third-party custody action does not terminate the rights of the child’s parents but it may restrict the parents ability to take the child without the permission of the third-party custodian. Restricting a parent’s rights to come and get the child may be necessary if a child’s parent has substance abuse issues, is violent, or may not be able to provide a safe place for the child.